Monday, March 1, 2010

Let's call him K

The question comes with dating: When do you tell a potential suitor that you have fibromyalgia?

About three months ago I met a man. He was perfect. Cute, hard-working, sweet... Even before our first date he knew I didn't have a car. And what did he say? "If you ever need a ride anywhere, even to the grocery store, I will drive you." I wasn't fishing for this offer and I wouldn't have taken him up on it anyway, as he lived across the water in another town. But man, I said to myself, if he is so understanding about me not having a car, he will be super understanding about fibromyalgia.

Jump ahead a couple weeks. We've now had three dates. On date three we check out a neighborhood both of us have heard of but have never been to. As I'm planning to move to his side of the water, he suggests I go into a rental office of an apartment building I like and ask how much the studios are. We get a flier for me, and he takes one for himself as well. "I may move sometime," he says.

We spend our date doing the infamous "While You Were Sleeping" lean. We say, "We should do this. We should do that." We go to a chocolate factory where he invites me to pick out a bar -- any bar I want. We walk through a Sunday market and we get pizza, drizzle hitting the tops of our heads as we listen to live music. We take pictures with a famous statue and search for another famous statue which we don't find. On the way back to the car, I decide to come clean about my fibromyalgia. "I don't let it keep me down," I say. I paint it in a positive light, even showing gratitude for the way it helps me stop and smell the roses. He admires my strength and perseverance. He has the exact response I'd been hoping for.

He drives me home, and then silence. I send him an email: "Thanks for being so understanding about my fibromyalgia," I say. I hone in the fact that I do not have the widespread pain or the depression, thinking that if he googles my illness I may come across in an unfavorable light. He sends me a statement of purpose for graduate school that he wants me to proof. I proof it and send it back. A week goes by and I hear nothing. I send another email, the infamous, "I like you / do you like me" confession. This is not completely out of left field. Before our first date he wouldn't go three days without calling. After date one he set up date three. (Date two was a game party at my house.) "I'm really busy," he writes back. "I want to be friends."

Now, I have no proof that the fibromyalgia doomed this possible relationship, but I have my suspicions. (If he isn't a closet homosexual, as most of my love interests are.) The question I'm left with is: When do you tell someone about your illness? Do you write it on your online dating profile, to weed out the ones who will reject you once they find out? Do you wait until you're in the phone stage, or after the first date, or after the third? Do you trick someone into liking you so much that once they find out about your illness they feel like they can't back down?

Contrary to the way I usually work, I didn't spend a lot of time moping over this potential lost love. Instead I jumped back on the bandwagon and asked someone else out. "Yes," he says, "Once I get back from traveling for work." So now we are "facebook friends" and I don't dare write anything about fibromyalgia. To him I am just some woman he met at a bar through a mutual friend... One of those gay men I love so much. "I teach online," I say across the table. I bat my eyelashes. I take off my coat. I leave him hanging because at this point I am still seeing K. One week later I am not seeing K, and two weeks after that I ask for and have his yes and wait for him to return from his travels. His journey continues, and so does mine.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same questions about talking about my bipolar disorder (its in remission but 1) its a huge part of the person I've become 2) there is always a risk it could rear its ugly head and 3) i don't want to lie about it) But i know there is a stigma understandably with getting involved. It also makes me aware of my own decisions of how I date others with their own health issues vs chemistry vs character. Loving the blog...thanks for sharing name-twin:)

    ReplyDelete