Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Whether or not to become a Kept Woman

Last night on OkCupid I got propositioned by an attractive 32-year-old man to be a "kept woman." It took me a few hours to realize that this was what he was after. One of his first questions was whether or not I had anything against dating an Arab, and since he's my age and working in the next town over, I assured him that the person was more important than the nationality. And it's true. I have nothing against Arab men whatsoever. But throughout our conversation he made it clear that to date an Arab meant I was to do certain things for him and to get certain things in return. Whether or not this is true for the entire Arab population in America is highly suspect, but for him, at least as a new resident, falling in love is not part of his equation.

Some women would have no problem with his proposition, and I'm sure he won't be hard pressed to find a woman who is flattered that he wants to buy her sexy clothes of his choosing, sexy underwear to wear for him, take her on extravagant outings, pay her expenses, have her move in almost immediately, get married in a matter of months, and settle it all even before the first meeting. I've seen enough Real Housewives episodes and seen enough celebrity couples to know that these kinds of deals are often made. Donald Trump said something to the affect of: "No, I don't mind that my wife married me for my money. I married her for her looks."

But for most of us, we see love and marriage not as a bartering exchange but as something that happens organically. In our world, a date is made because of a mutual connection. A second date is made because that connection was deepened. Physical intimacy and economic compatibility are important, yes, but cannot be the basis of our relationships and cannot be the only ingredient in whether or not they are a success. I suppose if a man wanted to marry a woman simply to "keep" her as a commodity, falling out of love would not be an issue because falling in love would a nice side benefit to an already done deal.

I can't help but think of Carrie Bradshaw and Aleksandr Petrovsky of Sex and the City. "The Russian" showered here with clothes, fancy accommodations, and treated her like a princess. While I'm disturbed that the writers had Carrie refer to her boyfriend by his nationality instead of his name, and had the character himself fill a cultural stereotype, in the end Carrie needed a man who saw her as an equal, not a trophy: "I'm looking for love. Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love. And I don't think that love is here in this expensive suite in this lovely hotel in Paris." I'd rather keep living off food stamps than giving my body away for material security. A true artist finds her own success and wears whatever she damn well pleases.

9 comments:

  1. Good for you! Was it slightly tempting at first? I wonder sometimes about that - money and security would be an awfully tempting motivator. I think you made the right choice though. Ultimately love does need to be the reason for marriage, not financial security or some agreement made between two people. I mean I guess marriage is those things too, but it's also more than just the sum of those parts. It's got to be something more than that. I like how Carrie put it - ridiculous, inconvenient, all-consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love. I want that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you still need an answer to the question of becoming a "kept woman," DON'T DO IT! You'd become a "possession" and "accessory" rather than remain a "person." You'd have to dress a specific way for the guy, respond to his "beck and call" even if you're not "in the mood." You wouldn't be seen as his "equal." Oh, I know what a kept woman is. Not from direct experience, though. I have a friend who almost became one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And speaking of this concept, I'm thinking back to the NYT article on Newt Gingrich yesterday (http://nyti.ms/jWIy6m). Please read it and let's discuss. Its about the role his current wife plays in his political wife. I see a "kept woman" perspective. HOT MESS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer: Yes, it was slightly tempting at first. But became less so the more fixated he became on what I would give him sexually. However, even though that alone should have made me run for the hills, the real deal breaker was when he got upset that I stopped chatting with him to spend time with my roommate. Best friend jealousy is a HUGE red flag!

    CoCo: I will definitely be reading the article, thanks for posting!

    --The DWAD Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. Oh man that's pretty creepy. What this guy wants is a prostitute, not a wife. I agree too about the jealousy bit. That would be a red flag even without everything else!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. --One of the DWAD ReadersMay 11, 2011 at 4:42 PM

    What a loser! Not you, DWAD blogger. And does he think you are an idiot?! Is he religious at all? Pretty sure that a BJ on the 2nd date is NOT in the Koran. Course, that is an assumption of his religion and I could be wrong.

    but seriously, who does he think he's talking to? sounds like a very lonely and sad man.

    even though I've never watched sex and the city, I LOVE the quote/story you used.

    You got to email me that list he sent you. It's got to be hilarious! Or post it for all of us to get a kick out of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. DWAD Reader: I would send you more info but I don't know who you are. ;) And I don't have a list, it was all in yahoo chat which doesn't get saved.

    I'm thinking maybe this guy has a distorted view of the American woman. Maybe he's seen too many high school sex party movies. Or, while I love the show, too much Sex and the City!

    And I highly doubt that you are making an inaccurate assumption to say that BJs on the second date is not in the Koran. Hahaha! At least this all makes for good story telling.

    --The DWAD Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many people try to find sex slaves online. I'm glad he was at least up front about it. I doubt this man is even Middle Eastern. Anyone saying they are "traditional" would a)marry within their community, b)no sex before marriage. Sounds like maybe he just gets off on writing creepy stuff to people online. Super!
    Also Carrie, and women like her are usually attracted to a man before being led down the path of being "kept" by them. They also usually have very expensive taste they can't afford, and get sucked into a situation that is very hard to get out of. But I think an initial attraction is usually there, and the flaws are easier to ignore since you are living a luxurious life. See it in LA all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. With enhanced use of internet, connection has become digitalized. Due to this, there has been a great enhance of online connection sites in uk. The positives with the online connection sites is that they are usually simple to use. What this means is that almost everyone can use them. You can find many different types of people with different interests in these sites and all you need to do is to find an affiliate with the same interests as you. Many of the sites are usually free to join; however, you need to pay little money to be able to availability certain solutions such as remain charts with potential affiliates. Although, online disability dating make connection so simple, you should do sufficient of analysis and identify efficient sites that will not rip you off.

    ReplyDelete