Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Angels and demons

"D" is finishing up his work travels and is on his way back to town. If you don't remember, he's the guy I've met twice and have a maybe-date with when he resettles to the area. (Maybe-date.... What movie is that from? Help me out, girls.) While part of me is excited, part of me is nervous, and part of me knows that with the little bit I know about him it's silly to be either one, a larger part of me is just hoping that I don't end up behind the glass case.

One of my gay boys, my mutual friend to D, assured me that I'm awesome and that things will work out the way they're supposed to. While this is totally reassuring (and while I know he's right about the latter part of his statement), it's not self-esteem that I lack. What I doubt is how D, or the next guy, will react to their impression of my awesomeness.

Most guys beam at me, tell me over and over again how great I am, not because I want them to, but just because it comes gushing from their lips. They expouse my sweetness, my hotness, and my (at the time bad) novel which they put behind a glass case with their special 19th century hard cover classics (which they then study in grad-level literature). They tell professors that I am their favorite contemporary author when questioned in class. They exclaim over my perfect curls, my perfect teeth, my perfect puffy lips, and my great butt. Butttttt, they don't want to date me.

Now, this probably has nothing to do with fibromyalgia. I've attributed it mostly to being a black girl who loves to date white guys and the knowledge that white guys may not always want to date me. I also attribute it to the fact that a majority of my love interests end up being gay, and to frustratingly being labeled the "nice girl" like Tenley on the last Bachelor. (Yes, I watch too much reality TV). "You're perfect," Jake professed to the runner up for the engagement ring, "but there's something missing." "Something" being the daring younger woman who was the professed mean girl of the house. Aside from Gia who opened up too late, I, contrary to popular opinion, did find Vienna to be the best match for Jake. From the couple seasons I've seen, Bachelors usually go for the ones they feel they should like instead of the ones they most want to be with, so I applaud Jake for his choice. But, despite my rooting for Vienna, I cry for Tenley because I know exactly how she feels, and the frustration of Jake feeling she was too "good" for him. It's hard to be considered perfect when you're the one who gets passed by. Tenley shakes her head at Jake's compliment, not wanting to be labeled as something so intangible. Perfect can be isolating, perfect can be frustrating. Perfect can put you behind a glass case.

I do wonder, however, if having fibromyalgia is going make me seem even more perfect (read unattainable) than I did before. Friends and family constantly applaud me on my industriousness and lightheartedness in the face of illness. "I don't know if I could be as strong as you," they say. They think they would be less angelic, and as we all know, angels don't consort with humans. "Tragic mulattas" are always described as angelic as well, as I am realizing in my study of the genre, and sweet and tough straight girls are always angels to the gay men who adore them. While I love being adored and I love the men who adore me, maybe D, as a straight, Asian man who I assume doesn't read 19th century classics, will see me as the human that I am and "open my pages." Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

6 comments:

  1. Hee Hee!! That is a bit cheesy!! But it works :) I don't know as I get put behind a glass case, but I always seems to end up being the Perfect Girl Friend, never the Girlfriend- as I am seen as just to nice, sweet and the type you bring home to mom and dad...and while I too don't suffer from low self esteem it would be nice to for once- be seen as Girlfriend material...it's nice to know I'm not the only one in the boat of Best Girl Firends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it has more to do with being attracted to gay men than anything.

    Things definitely should work out better with D seeing as he isn't gay. At least a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! I looked up 'Wendy' in the Urban Dictionary, and it means the girl in a group of guys that none of them ever date. She's just there to cook and stuff, I guess. Unfortunately, that describes my dating experiences perfectly :P I'm enjoying watching you figure this out, because it's figuring out who you are and not compromising that that is prized!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls for the comments. :) It's good to know that people can relate.

    Lisa: Hahaha! You know your sister too well. Except that not all the complimenters have been gay.

    --The FLwF Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the same boat as Ingrid. For as long as I can remember, I've been the confidante, the girl friend, the buddy... but never the girlfriend. In fact, usually just as I start really feeling close to a guy and we're hanging out a lot and I'm discovering that I have feelings for him... he confesses his undying love for my best friend. This has happened to me multiple times. And yet on paper, I'm the nice girl, the girl you'd want to take home to mom. Somehow that doesn't translate into the girl guys want to date though. Which is sooo frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer: I've been there! One of the most frequent statements I've gotten from guys is "You're so wise..." Doesn't it make you think we should have gotten our counseling degrees so that we can at least get paid for being the confidante?

    Lisa: To further comment on what you said, only about half of the complimenters have been gay. The other half are single/engaged/married or just interested in someone else.

    Keep it up, girls! (And boys!)

    ~The FLwF Blogger

    ReplyDelete